Exploring Past Vancouver's Lower Mainland
We do not recommend attempting this as a day trip.
1) **Victoria**: 1 Day or more
From the Tsawwassen ferry terminal, take the 95-minute trip through the Gulf Islands to southern Vancouver island.
- Whale watching - resident orcas (J-pod) can be seen April to October, Humpbacks are migrating from Alaska back to Hawaii in September and October
- Explore the old town from the inner harbour to China town.
- Royal BC museum, BC Legislative Assembly building, have tea at the historic Empress Hotel
- Butchart Gardens
- Beacon Hill park
- Local Brew Pubs
- see tourismvictoria.com for more ideas
- see BCFerries.com
- see wilsonstransportation.com
2) Nanamio: 1 Day or more
Ferry from Tsawwassen or Horseshoe Bay, or drive up-island 110km (90min) from Victoria
- Old quarter promenade
- New castle island park
- Pipers lagoon with shack island
- foot ferry to Dingy dock floating pub
- see toursimnanaimo.com for more ideas
3) Drive to Port Alberni: 1 Day or more
Drive northwest 85km from Nanaimo
- Coombs old country market with Goats on the roof
- Cathedral Grove with old growth forest - trees up to 800 years old and 9m around
- Little Qualicum falls
- Lady Rose Marine Services - 10hr return trip on working freighter from Port Alberni through the broken islands to the pacific Rim Park area.
4) Pacific Rim National Park: 2 Days or more
On the west (Pacific Ocean) coast of Vancouver Island, 162km (3hours) drive from Nanaimo
- Magnificent Ocean Vistas, Sandy beaches and unique communities.
- Mackenzie Beach
- Chestermans Beach
- Clayquat Sound
- Broken Islands
South Western British Columbia
1) **Whistler**: 1 Day or more
120km North on Sea to Sky Highway from Vancouver, can be done by car as a day trip from Vancouver
- Sea to Sky highway, enjoy the scenery on the way there and back
- Peak 2 Peak Gondola, world record-holding 3.024km unsupported span between two peaks of the mountain resort
- Whistler mountain will be open for the mountain biking season at this time
- One of the world's great all season resort towns
- for more see https://www.whistler.com/activities/ and whistlertastingtours.com
2) Squamish: 1 Day or more
On the road to Whistler, 65km North on Sea to Sky Highway from Vancouver
- Britannia Mine Museum in Britannia Beach, 52km N of Vancouver, 13 km S of Squamish
- Stawamus Chief hiking or Gondola just South of town on Sea to Sky Highway
- view eagles in Brackendale, just North of town, off Sea to Sky Highway, best eagle viewing time is December to February
- Brandywine falls
- for more see exploresquamish.com
3) Sunshine Coast: 1 Day or more
Ferry ride from Horseshoe Bay on the Langdale Ferry (40min)
- Gibsons, home of the famous old TV show "The Beachcombers"
- Skookumchuck Narrows
- for more see sunshinecoastcanada.com, www.secheltvisitorcentre.com
- lots of B&Bs for an overnight, or plan a day trip http://www.tourismvancouver.com
4) Fraser River: 1 Day or more
- Paddle wheeler River boat cruises
5) Hope and Vicinity: 1 Day or more
155km+ east of Vancouver
6) Osoyoos and Penticton: 3 Days or more
400km - take Hwy 1 to Hope, then Hwy 3 to Osoyoos
- Quite different from the temperate rainforest of the coast, this is Canada's only desert region
- Scenic drive to the lake country, but beware of the Ogopogo, local legendary mythic beast
- Wine tasting and estate tours - the area boasts 120 wineries
- Myra Canyon Park
- For more see Hello BC - Osoyoos
Please Note: The name of the competition has been changed to the 7th International Karate-do Goju-kai Association Global Championships. This is to accommodate recent decisions surrounding international Karate competitions.
We hope that this does not cause any undue hardship for participants or visitors to Canada in organizing travel arrangements, and we appreciate your understanding.
Visitors to Canada
Helpful information for competitors visiting Canada for the IKGA Global Championships.